Thursday, April 09, 2009

Electric Vehicles

I wrote a post suggesting that Iain Dale's spin about Boris and electric cars didn't quite add up over on Common Endeavour, what I didn't realise at time of writing was the extent of the electric vehicle industry in the UK.

Indeed, thanks to the nice folks at The Oil Drum, I'm now a little more enlightened, knowing as I do about Smith Electric Vehicles a firm producing electric commerical vehicles up in the North East. Looks like interesting stuff, the minibuses seem to have a range of around 100 miles which doesn't strike me as amazingly useful, the trucks have a range of up to 150 miles which might not be up to the task of long haulage, but could be useful in combination with rail freight or as part of a freight consolidation scheme.

No comments: