Sunday, May 16, 2010

A few Thoughts on the Election

Before I get to work on out new LibCon overlords I just thouhgt I'd string together a few thoughts on the election.

I wasn't particularly optimistic about the result, so overall, I'm not that upset about the hung parliament result. Less cheerful for me were the results in East Anglia, my MP Charles Clarke lost his Norwich South seat to the Lib Dems by around 300 votes, we failed to take Norwich North back from the Tories and we lost seats in my hometown of Great Yarmouth and also in Ipswich.

The result in the Eastern region has me seriously worrying about what went wrong and why we suffered quite so badly in the East of England, one thing I intend to do off the back of results is to do some digging and see if I can find any clues to Labour's demise in this bit of the country.

On the subject of coalitions, I'm disappointed that Labour were unable (or possibly unwilling) to form a rainbow coalition, I know it would have been difficult but I don't believe for a second that a Tory government is ever "in the national interest". We can hope that the Lib Dems exert a moderating influence on their Tory coalition partners, but so far this seems to be in vain.

A silver lining in all this is despite all that's happened, the mood of Labour party members is surprisingly upbeat, the talk is about getting back out there and fighting to win back power. That's an incredibly refreshing thing to hear after an election defeat.

No comments: